Saturday, September 12, 2009

My last day in India




So it's my last night in India and I am enjoying a wild evening of blogging and charging my many electronic devices before my flight back to London tomorrow (please do keep reading as I have one more important school visit in the UK before I head home to Dallas). My jovial travel companions have left me (sniff) and now I am all alone in Mumbai ..


Last night was a real blast with Shonal - we had dinner at the country club where she has enjoyed many of the best moments of her life. She drove us all around (at great speed I might add - I am thrilled to be alive) and gave us an awesome tour of Mumbai by night. Matt and I laughed so much with her because she has a remote controlled radio in the car - why would one need a remote in the car??? It would be very hard not to love Shonal as you can imagine...I was very sad to say goodbye to this dear friend who I feel that I could call upon for anything - I can't wait to see her again!

So today, Matt FINALLY agreed that we could do something cultural as well as some shopping (YEAH!!!). We packed up from the Shalimar (seriously, that place was very shady palm tree as the young people say) in order to move me back to the lovely Leela which is super close to the airport - I did not want to risk being all the way across Mumbai tomorrow given the massive traffic issues (and yes, I was glad to leave my musty room at the Shalimar). Anyway, I am posting some pics from our sightseeing today - Can you see me in front of the Gateway to India?
Well, Matt has just left this evening and we agreed that we will have a bond forever. Just before he left, Matt ordered some water in the hotel lounge and the very sophisticated young woman server replied "Sir, we don't serve tap water here." hahahaha - good times up until the end .. This has been my favorite quote of the trip other than when Shonal shocked us by using the word "peon" to refer to her office assistant - WHAT??? We had a very lively discussion about how that word would never, ever be used in this context in the USA!!!!
Well, I will blog a bit more in the morning before leaving India... goodnight from Mumbai!!
cmn

No comments:

Post a Comment