Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A few minor challenges

Hello from Delhi!! Still have LOTS to go back to say about Bangalore (a city with the lovliest breeze ever) but for now I just want to share a couple of challenges - I always tell kids that the middle of the trip is the most challenging because you get tired and it lacks the excitement of the beginning and end of an adventure - So, that's where I am - in the middle ...

One thing that is just ringing in my ears is the incessant honking - it never, ever, ends. Drivers honk almost as a greeting - to the 10 million people and the other drivers all around. Things are very loud - lots of noise from cell phones, cars, speakers, shouting and more - it is stressful!!

Also, the service is so excellent that it is almost suffocating. There is someone perched outside my hotel door at this very minute in case I need something, or anything - I have already asked the housekeeper gentleman to PLEASE not worry about turning down my bed. The minute I get out of a car, someone is right there. Waiters and shopkeepers hover VERY closely - I made the mistake of trying to move a hanger in a store and I was rushed by a group of salesladies who did not want me to bother myself with moving the hanger. I appreciate the hotel bellmen not allowing one single drop of rain to fall on me but it is almost exhausting to have to give instruction on how many ice cubes I would like plinked into my glass... Well, I KNOW I should be grateful - I just need a little space - a little "organizational moment" as I tell the kids.

My last and final "complaint" is that every snack that we have bought has been really, really ancient and WAY passed expiration. I can't even describe my disappointment at the hotel mini-bar snickers - it was "white"and it was NOT white chocolate. AYYY

Matt is here telling me that my organizational moment is over - THANKS SO MUCH.. I know we are going to have a delightful evening with Shonal and her family so I will go for now - Thanks for listening!!

cmn

2 comments:

  1. Wow, louder than Intramurals? I can only imagine...you will have to remember that "excellent" service when you are back home and trying to get a checker to ring up your groceries....we are really enjoying the pictures you are attaching.
    Take care,
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cecilia- hang in there! Sounds like you guys are having quite an adventure- if it all works out, next summer's ISL will be one for the ages!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete