Saturday, September 12, 2009

Some (almost) final reflections

I am filled with so many thoughts and impressions as I prepare to leave India. I have been wanting to visit this mysterious and complex land for some time and , now that I have, I find it more mysterious and complicated than I ever imagined. I don't think I have even scratched the surface of the many layers of India... so many languages, people, spices, colors... The cities are labyrinths, with endless winding, unnamed streets filled with people and animals and more people and more animals.

This trip has not been easy because it is hard to face the unfamiliar everyday - I have been pushed way, way beyond my comfort zone in countless ways (from trying different foods to walking through giant crowded markets to giving up control and trusting that virtual strangers will take care of me).

The contrasts and disparities in India are more extreme than I have ever experienced. The poverty is mind-numbing and completely overwhelming. I will not soon forget the people pounding on our car doors asking for money / food. Even though intellectually I know that giving money to beggars is not a good social solution, I still feel a deep guilt for every person I turned away - especially children who I know will never get a chance to rise up from their situations and go to school. I have certainly cried about some of the things I have seen - you just can't help it because so much is hopeless- Still, I believe that the work that we are doing with students will impact real social change in the long run and I remain committed to working with as many NGOs as possible because, again, that's where the real progress will be made.

As I have said, the contrasts are extreme - I think the Taj Hotel is among the most beautiful, comfortable places on earth. Inside the Taj, you can shop at Mont Blanc, Louis Vuitton, Prada and more of the finest Western stores. There are polo clubs and cricket clubs (British legacy) and country clubs (had a wonderful time there myself). The women here win the global fashion competition, hands down - The colors, textures and designs of the gorgeous, lush, sparkling clothes are infinite - I can't stop gawking at the clothing - the women are adorned so beautifully - it almost looks like they are floating as the colorful scarves everso casually flow behind them as they walk..

Well, of course I have more that I'd like to share but I must run to British Airways ... will try to report from the airport ...

cmn

No comments:

Post a Comment