Monday, September 7, 2009

Random tid bits & observations

Hello from Bangalore where I have a somewhat sketchy electricity situation in our moderate 19th century historical hotel- must write somewhat quickly as my adaptor (which is connected to my computer plug) started "sizzling" a few minutes ago - That can't be good. In case any members of the UA Technology department are reading this blog, please be impressed to know that my first concern upon hearing the sizzle was for my precious laptop and not for my own safety - we are on battery power now...

So, before going on and on about more school visits (which have been so, so interesting), I want to share a few random pieces of information & observations - forgive the list form but I am trying to write quickly in order to conserve the battery..
  • The Pune airport is not somewhere you want to be when you are hungry. We were served some very stale potato chips and then Matt accused me of trying to kill him by offering him some M&Ms which seriously must have been produced in 1974
  • Also of note in the Pune airport are the separate security areas for men and women - I'm not sure if this is religious sensitivity at its best or if it's just a way for gals to have a little frendly chat as they are being screened in a little curtain-surrounded booth - my guard wanted to know all about me, my heritage, family etc. It was a lovely social encounter but not the most efficient security check I've seen..
  • Our American size carry-ons were way larger than the carry-ons allowed by the Indian airlines so, guess what?? We HAD to check our luggage which means there was NO POINT in my having only carry-on bags!!!! AY DIOS MIO - All I can say is that Matt has apologized and has admitted that he was all wrong on the luggage requirements. He is also now carrying all my bags of treasures..
  • Motorbikes are everywhere - millions of them! There are lots of women (many college students) who ride them in Pune and they are known as the "female masked bandits of Pune" because they wear scarves to protect them from the dust - they are way cool and today I saw a bright pink motor bike (very Hello Kitty bandit) and nowI kind of want one
  • We have seen many random cows walking in traffic - unaccompanied - I am so curious - where are they going???
  • Today we had to stop the car for a giant SNAKE crossing (slithering across) the road - I really freaked out on that one
  • I also saw a monkey walking across the road the other day in the mountains near Pune - who knew??
  • Monsoon season is a bit depressing - today we saw the sun for the first time since our arrival - all this rain also encourages mosquitos which are all after me - let's hope I made the right decision in not taking malaria pills

Well, these are the thoughts on my mind in addition to the fact that my laundry disappeared today and hasn't been returned - Matt's came back but I'll be sleeping in a blouse tonight due to my extremely limited wardrobe and the fact that I need to be somewhat covered as mosquito protection - Oh what an adventure!!! Hope all in the USA are enjoying the holiday as we labor away (in a good way) here in India.

cmn :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Cesi,
    I have been following your interesting blog. We are about to start classes in the new building FFC tomorrow, I can't wait it is superb! Don't forget to visit with Aruna at the International School in Bangladore, Matt knows her, our friend from Costa Rica last year., send her my love and for you too! Hasta la vista viajera!
    Maluza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maluza! Amiga mia! Thanks for the note. We did see Aruna yesterday and she was so excited to know that I work with you. I took a couple of pictures of her to show you and I showed her some pictures of you and me in Spain. Her faculty was very animated and participated wonderfully in Matt's Leadership workshop.
    Love from bangalore,
    Cesi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to be a "female masked bandit of the trailer park of knowledge"!

    So glad you saw a monkey on this trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola amiga,
    Que emocion que conociste y viste a Aruna! He estado viendo y siguiendo tu blog,y nos has inspirado tanto que en espanol 4 vamos a hacer parte de la evaluacion que las alumnas hagan un blog cultural internacional.Luego te cuento. Besos Maluza

    ReplyDelete