Saturday, September 12, 2009

Farewell India!!

I have made it to the British Airways lounge where I have been "upgraded" (my very favorite thing to be) to a superior economy seat where I am told I will have more leg room and more "peace" - WOW - if the lounge is any indication, it will be a very quiet flight - I am slowly recovering from all of the honking. Getting here was not horribly stressful since I was near the airport - but I was still ruffled having packed and unpacked way too many times in the last two weeks (and it's not over yet). By the time I get to Dallas, I will have been on 7 flights in 2 weeks - 4 of them international and over 9 hours each - UG!! Note to self (or to my mom if she's reading this) : Make appointment with Dr. Howard, chiropractor asap - I am a human pretzel... By the way, I checked 2 bags to London - woo hoo - forget carrying everything- That DID NOT work (see Matt Nink's Travel Blog for his complete apology - Thank you, Matt)!!

I'd just like to mention that there are about 25 businessmen in here and three women (businesswomen?) - interesting ratio....

I think that I am suddenly looking more Indian because today everyone thought I was Indian (which has not happened too much before today). I had a long chat with the Immigration officer (so much nicer than the one on the way in) who asked me what I had seen and learned in India. He also wanted verification that I am not of Indian origin because I "look very Indian." I take that as a huge compliment that I am looking relaxed and adapted.

So, a few random final observations (some profound, some not so much):
  • There is a disturbing trend among Indian men to dye their hair red - this is NOT a good look. What are they thinking??
  • I am really shocked at the lack of recycling and the massive amount of packaging used everywhere (this almost killed Matt). I never saw any recycling bin or message or anything. Even Matt's laundry came back in a cardboard box with paper in between items - lots and lots of plastic packaging is used on everything - things are usually wrapped twice, once in paper and once in plastic. Scaffolding is ALL WOOD, no metal - even on high rise buildings! I can't imagine what is going to happen here if some real social consciousness is not developed in terms of resources...
  • I loved visiting the elegant Taj Hotel here in Mumbai. It was beautiful but also very, very sad given the terrorist events of last year. Bullet Holes are still visible in the walls and much has been boarded up to protect the workers in shops, etc. - So many of them were killed. Shonal explained so much to us about those horrible events and about how personal it was for her - Having grown up in Mumbai going to celebrations at the Taj (including her own wedding), Shonal knew at least 20 people who died. Being here has given me a very clear picture of how horrific those days were and of the human toll ... I admire the Taj and all who work there for carrying on in the face of such trauma.
  • It has been a little nuisance to be asked constantly to give customer feedback - This is a huge trend in hotels, restaurants, etc - I have never filled out so many comment cards. At the Shalimar, I practically had to beat off a housekeeping manager who was stalking me wanting feedback - I assured him that he didn't want to hear what I had to say ... It's interesting though because it's obvious that businesses are desperately wanting to be excellent and to improve.
Well, it's about time to head to my plane and my extra leg room (I hope!). What a fantastic adventure India has been and how privileged I am for the opportunity - How grateful I am for all of those who made this possible for me and for UA. Thank you!!! All life is a journey and, of course, the most important journies are the ones that take you deeper within yourself. I have benefitted tremendously from both the interior and exterior journey while in India and I am excited to have shared the events with you! A whole new adventure coming soon from the UK where I will visit UA Wimbledon!!

cmn

No comments:

Post a Comment