Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hi from Mumbai - India Day 1

Hello from India where I am already filled with wonder and astonishment at the colors, architecture, multitudes of people and extreme humidity - WOW - My glasses fogged up immediately upon arrival!!

My flight from London was uneventful (thankfully) and not too full (yeah) but arrival here was not exactly easy. Coming off the plane, I was hit, hard, by a humidity so thick and intense it literally took my breath away. I was an instant ball of perspiration. Fearing that I would look unwell to the swine flu inspectors, I put on a happy face and just kept going, weaving my luggage through a small herd of pretty confused people. I passed the swine flu inspection and went through immigration & customs. The immigration agent who stamped my passport was really grouchy, glared at all of us and took forever with each person. Still, he let me through after making a very careful study of my passport. Since I have no checked bags, customs was no problem (half a point for Matt). Once out of the secured area, I set out through the dark, dingy halls of the airport wondering if the driver would really be there to meet me.

Of course, I didn't know that you have to walk all the way out of the airport in order to meet the person waiting for you but, as an act of faith, I just kept walking until I reached what can only be described as a gorgeous veranda decorated with palm trees. Then, through my fogged glasses, I saw the "Ms.CNipp" sign held by a charming (and very fast moving) little man in an all-white tropical suit. My driver was sent from our hotel which turns out to be 5 minutes from the airport. So, I haven't exactly seen the city yet.

But I have seen a wonderful street festival - a celebration of some kind - from my window. There were lots of colored lights lining the street (neon in a Shanghai-esque way) and people playing drums, dancing, etc. There were also many firecrackers set off along the closed-off street - most festive!

To say that our hotel is "nice" and that the service is "good" would be the understatement of a lifetime. This hotel, per our Indian travel agency, is "moderate" and "ok" as we requested. Well, at this moderate, beautiful palace, I was met by at least 20 people, standing at attention and welcoming me by name to the hotel. I was then walked to my room by my personal attache, a beautiful and refined (and accessorized!!) young woman named Ankita, dressed in a sparkling golden sari which made me feel like the princess of frumpy in my leggings and eco shoes. Ankita processed all of the necessary documentation for me so that I would not have to be bothered by anything as common as checking in (thank you). The service has been so superb that I actually decided to turn on my "privacy" sign after a young man came by to "change out" my apples and cookies.

So, on my first day in India, I am enchanted. I have rested, Matt has arrived and we have made a plan for our first school visit bright and early tomorrow. I won't mind getting up early because my body has lost all sense of time and place.

Goodnight from India!!
cmn

No comments:

Post a Comment