Sunday, September 6, 2009

Cultural thrills and new friends in Pune

So last night, we decided that we had better take advantage of the little bit of free time that we had because the upcoming school visit schedule is really full - So, we asked Vishwas (Matt's local friend and potential collaborator for next year's student conference) if he might take us shopping at a local market. He said that he doesn't like to shop but that his wife, Jotti, would be the ideal person to accompany us.

Jotti was THRILLED about taking us shopping and she informed Vishwas that he would be coming along as well. The local market district was madness in terms of crowds, sounds, vehicles, etc. Jotti told me that it was "empty" by Indian standards. I can only compare the experience to shopping in the mega crowds of Shanghai but even there we were surrounded by tourists. The area in Pune was definitely an area for the locals - Poor blonde Matt caused quite a sensation!
Well, you know that I found many treasures including jewelery, scarves and purses. After we totally exhausted Matt & Vishwas, we headed over to Jotti & Vishwas' apartment for a home cooked meal of basmati rice and vegetables. After dinner, Jotti very generously offered to paint my hand with henna - an ancient Indian art form. Since I have been DYING to have henna tatooed hands, I eagerly agreed. You have a photo of her work here. She tells me all Indian women know how to do this - WOW! So, I'll be sporting this masterpiece for a few weeks until it fades away...
I'll soon get caught up and will tell you about the unique and marvelous place that is United World College - but it's really late and I can hardly keep my eyes open AND, I'm getting a sore throat from all of the climate changes (from really hot & humid to strong air conditioning etc.). Tomorrow we visit two schools in Bangalore!!!
Any comments out there???






5 comments:

  1. Your hand will truly serve as a memory for days to come. Actually, how long does the henna typically last? What range of prices did you find on your shopping trip? The pictures are great and a real addition to the "words." Am looking forward to learning more about the other schools--they are not American schools also, are they? Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melinda!! Thanks for writing! The henna should last 2-4 weeks so hopefully you'll see it when I give you a big hug back home. It gets darker with my body temp - wow! The prices were very reasonable on my shopping trip. Many things like earings and bangles are 1-2 dollars. Scarves are a little more. A really really nice traditional tunic shirt might cost around 10 dollars - more decoration, more expensive... One school today is Canadian and one other school I think is an International IB school. Love,C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Melinda, I was interested in learning about the shopping...and the schools. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little late here--was in New Mexico for the weekend--the opposite of humidity. Can't wait to see the henna when you get back. So far from the pictures and your posts, it reminds me--just a little of Thailand--humidity, intense scents the hum of a dense population, but then the lush countryside. Seems like an awesome trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving all of these festive comments - Thanks!! Regretfully, my henna is starting to fade (so sad) - probably because of all of my excessive hand washing per the global bombardment of precautions regarding the swine flu..

    ReplyDelete