Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Half way there - Cheers from London!

Hello from terminal 5 at London Heathrow where I have been confined a la Tom Hanks in that airport movie I never saw. I had hoped to perhaps go out and about during my 13 HOUR stay or, even better, to nap in the airport "Yotel" (a new concept in hotels - very cool). However, being in transit, I ended up in a secured (and I mean SECURED) area and now I can't escape beyond this terminal. Of course, as terminals go, it's quite nice and I am grateful to be allowed in the British Airlines lounge thanks to their friendship with American Airlines. This partnership also entitled me to a lounge shower for which I (and I'm sure all around me) am forever grateful. Despite my superior (lol) status, I am not so superior that I could have a massage in the extra-special lounge which is reserved for only the very most exclusive of British Airways passengers. On well, such is life ...

Are you noticing my british accent? I just can't help it. Everything about being here is encouraging me to say things like "cheers" and "riight" and "mind the step." I wish someone had reminded me to "mind" the vehicles coming from the left - The DODGE was almost taken out by a luggage cart during our "secure" transfer. Anyway, I am enjoying everyone calling me "Madam" in an everso distinguished way - this formality is particularly absurd given that I am wearing the floppiest of clothes and my earthy eco-Yucatan sandals (recommended by Samantha Brown of the Travel channel).

BTW, my flight over was unusually excellent (other than the 3 times the over-zealous flight attendant came charging down the aisle with the beverage cart and I got seriously sprinkled). It was a completely full plane but I had a great seat (31 H on a 777 - highly recommend it to you). I had endless leg room which I obviously don't need but it was wonderful to not feel like a sardine in a can. I also had a very pleasant travel companion, an executive at Nokia originally from Mexico and now living in Finland. It was a true global encounter so you know I was excited.

As for the carry on situation, I am so far not a fan.. I have walked miles and miles (ok kilometers) through this airport with much more than I normally cart around. I am also mourning the loss of a couple of toiletries and travel bottles which did not make it through security because they were "unlabled." Security here is probably the most intense that I have encountered anywhere (very NOT Bahia)!

Well, I think I'll seek out some tea and "biscuits" - if I find some lemon curd, i will do the happy dance. I'm sort of hallucinating from lack of sleep so i will also take some Advil and snooze a bit.

Next stop: MUMBAI!!

cmn

No comments:

Post a Comment